Friday, January 24, 2014

Two oceans meet.

The moon showered me with its warm glow. A light rain, as delicate as a silk scarf, began to fall on the town. I thanked God for this blessed moment and left myself in His hands. The fragility and brevity of life struck me once again...
[...]
There is only one more day before I meet my companion. I cannot sleep. 
Oh, Rumi! The king of the realm of words and meanings. 
Will you know me when you see me? 
See me!

(Shams)

***

(Rumi)

Blessed is this day, for I have met Shams of Tabriz. On this last day of October, the air has a new chill and the winds blow stronger, announcing the departure of autumn.
[...]
His black eyes blazing at me sharper than daggers, he stood in the middle of the street and raised his arms high and wide, as if he wanted to halt not only the procession but also the flow of time. I felt a jolt run trough my body, like a sudden intuition.

Elif Shafak, The forty rules of Love

VIKING
London, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment