Monday, October 26, 2015

The Universe in a chestnut shell


I remember the autumn walks with my mother and brother, again is Stara Zagora. Our favourite thing was picking chestnuts. Those trees, for me were directly related to the city, there was their natural habitat. And it was a true miracle, having found a chestnut still its shell, to peel it and hold it in your hand, so warm and fresh and pure... 
I think this is another childhood treasure, along with book stores, that I still cherish – something so simple, and yet marvellous!

© 2015, Cristiana Bobeva


* * *

[…] It is a sunny fall afternoon and I'm engaged in one of my favourite pastimes – picking chestnuts. I'm playing alone under the spreading, leafy, protective tree. […] The city, beyond the lacy wall of trees, is humming with gentle noises. The sun has just passed its highest point and is warming me with intense, oblique rays. I pick up a reddish brown chestnut, and suddenly, trough its warm skin, I feel the beat as if of a heart. But the beat is also in everything around me, and everything pulsates and shimmers as if it were coursing with the blood of life. Stooping under the tree, I'm holding life in my hand, and I am in the center of a harmonious, vibrating transparency. For that moment, I know everything there is to know. I have stumbled into the very center of plenitude, and I hold myself still with fulfillment, before the knowledge of my knowledge escapes me. 


Eva Hoffman, Lost in Translation



No comments:

Post a Comment