Sunday, October 25, 2015

On whose threshold we stand humble acolytes...



The paragraph that I leave you here brought to my mind a very vivid memory from my childhood, although a bit different from the text above. When I was little, every time my family visited my father's home town – Stara Zagora, the two of us with my brother had a very important ritual. We just had to visit one of the big book-stores in the city called Pingvinite (The Penguins). I was so indescribably happy to smell the aroma of new books, to choose The One that I would bring home with me... I believe I still have this obsession with book-stores.
© 2015, Cristiana Bobeva

* * *

Every two weeks or so, my mother takes me to the library to provide for my next fortnight's reading. Every time, I anticipate the event as if it were a trip into Sesame itself. The library is located in a narrow, old street, in an ancient building, which one enters through a heavy wooden door. The interior is Plato's cave, Egyptian temple, the space of mystery and magic, on whose threshold I stand a humble acolyte. It is yellowly lit, smoky with dust and respectful whispers, and behind the counters, which stop the customers from entering farther, it reveals deep, ceiling-tall rows if shelves. When your turn comes, one of the guardians of the mysteries – most of them bespectacled women in black, satiny versions of a nurse's uniform – approaches for a consultation. My mother mentions some author or title she's interested in. And as for me – what might I want to read next? And adventure story? A boarding school novel? Something historical? The very thought of these possibilities makes the next two weeks a terrain of potential pleasure. The guardian then quietly vanishes into the cavernous interior, to emerge with a sack of musty, yellow-paged volumes. I open them; I sniff their aged smell; I read a few words; some of them have illustrations at which I look greedily; then I have to choose from the riches of Araby.

Eva Hoffman, Lost in Translation



No comments:

Post a Comment